Friday 21 September 2012

Re-discovery of The Search Engines

Hello there! I'm really busy right now homeworks and requirements and all that stuff, but I think I can squeeze a few minutes of blogging.

Oh My Gosh! I feel so happy with Comp Sci right now! I just got 23 out of 25 in a test. Not exactly the best score I could've gotten but still! It's high for my standards.

Next week we're gonna have more 'practical' activities in Comp Sci which I prefer more 'coz the practical tests means we learn more practical stuff.

In the last few lessons, we learned about search engines. My first thought when Sir Tom said it was,''What a perfectly good WASTE of a lesson! Who the heck doesn't know what search engines are and how to use them? Cavemen or more like Ramapithecus.'' 

But to my suprise, there are a bunch of stuff I do NOT know about search engines and their strategies and etc.

GOOGLE: The most favored search engine. I thought I knew a lot about it. I was wrong
Example, there's a program called Web Crawler or Bot that crawls all over the 'Net when you search for something. How it crawls all over the Web in a matter of seconds is beyond me.

The other one is the Bollean words/phrases/term-I-forgot. What are they you may ask? At first I thought it was some kind of spice or maybe a curse. Well, it's actually a blessing. AND,OR and Not. Those are Bollean. They kinda make your life easy. If type them in in caps-lock, for example rock AND paper, the results will show rock AND paper. When we tried it that's what came out. Rock paper scissors also came out. 

Also, using the letter -s at the end. See, if you type in say Russian Hotel, it's gonna show particular hotels or subscriptions to a single hotel. If you type Russian Hotel-s (yes, with an s) it's gonna show groups of Russian Hotels, or the Top 400 Russian Hotels, or etc.

Amazing how a single phrase or letter can make a HUGE difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment